Friday, May 8, 2009

Catch a Fairy, Make a Wish

Tonight there was little wind, the moon coming up was almost full, and no bugs. I sat on the front porch swing, as the sun went down. Truffle taking a lick at my bare toes.

I heard a humming and looked up to see a big bumblebee hovering over my hanging flowers. No wait...it was a hummingbird! Awww!
It went from petal to petal drinking up the nectar. It was near dark, and I could barely see it flittering about.

Very quietly I stood up from the swing, crept up on the flower it was busy tending to, and ever so gently cupped my hands around him without even a startle. I made a wish, and let him go faster than I had caught him. I barely felt his wings against my hands nor did he even have a chance to get a panic in his hum before I opened my hands and he was flying away, and only to go on to the next pot of flowers.

That is the second time I have caught a hummingbird with my hands, the first one was let go as quickly as well, but he was caught up in a screen, and so I set him free very carefully.

It is late but the house still smells of warm pecan pie, and so I am off to slice a piece and then go to bed!

Fairy dreams!