Monday, September 21, 2009

Score!!

I am SO excited!

After realizing our old pony cart was pretty pitiful and needed a LOT of work (but I was prepared to fix it up), I happened across an ad on our local KC craigslist last night for a pony cart AND harness, all for $200!! There was no picture in the ad, and no phone number, so I replied right away. I was nervous because a set like that for that price would be GONE with the new owner giggling all the way home!

When I e-mailed the seller I left my phone number...then waited...and prayed...

Now I am all for fixing things up, and love the motto "use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without"...BUT...it would have taken a hefty chunk of change to fix up the ol' cart to be road worthy, and for this price...well, it was an exception!

The phone rang!! It was the guy with the cart and harness! WOOOOHOOO!! He said I was the first e-mailer and said I could come the next morning. I dropped the kids off at school and took off up north to Smithville, MO. When I got there, I went to the barn and met an old duffer in overalls with a walking cane who smelled of fried bacon, a perfect feller to buy a cart from! We greeted and then he pointed me to the cart which was parked outside the barn..and WOW!! It was painted a beautiful red with heavy duty black spoked wheels! The seat was absolutely perfect, not a tear on the cushion! Not a spot of rust anywhere on this beauty! This cart was a cherry, and by itself worth $300 at least! Brand new they are nearly $500!

Then he had the harness set out.... Wow! Not new but not dying either, it was all leather and broken in to the utmost perfection, like a comfortable pair of boots. I could not believe he was throwing it all in for $200, that harness was worth $125-$150.

The man says "Now I know you can go and sell this and make some money off it..." to which I replied.."Well yes sir I guess I could, but then the children would still need a pony cart, then where would we be? We won't be reselling this little gem!"

I thanked the gentleman whole heartedly, but didn't leave until I heard many of his stories about his horse dealing days. He has had some wild run ins with some crazy horses! He even warned me "So if you see me at an auction...don't buy one of my horses".

I drove away with my new purchase, giggling all the way home!

I am beyond, BEYOND excited that the Wee Babes finally have a nice complete driving set up for Licorice the pony! I can't wait to show them! I almost want to wait until Christmas because it is such a nice set, and to let Santa bring it, or a gift from us for the family gift....but then we wouldn't get any use out of it for these beautiful fall days! And oh my is it ever gorgeous out! Today is rainy and rather cold so we won't be hooking it up but hopefully later this week because the temperatures have been amazing!

Ok well, I just had to share my happy day! I can't get any good pictures until the rain stops, but I will soon!

Oh and we went to the bluegrass festival over the weekend, and let me just say that we WILL be back! Darin and I both loved every second of it, and met so many totally awesome and down to earth people! Hippies and hillbilly's galore, totally my type of people! *sigh* We cannot wait for next year!!

Photobucket
Yes, these old washtubs DO still exist, and play a fine bass!


Photobucket
Me trotting down a really fun hill, lol!


Photobucket
I loved this couple SO much that I had to sneak a photo of them. We were all waiting for the fiddling to start on the stage and these two were seated on the hill next to us. He sits while she knits, how perfect it was!