Sunday, September 27, 2009

Note to Self...

....NEVER assume city kids know how to play on a farm! We totally wrecked those poor things!!

Darin had some good friends of his and their 3 children come out for a bar-b-que last night. They are what I call "sparkly" people, a little term I use for city folk whose tennies are as bright white as their teeth, lol (I mean no offense, dear readers. I adore my city friends...besides city folk have oodles of nicknames for country folk like me, lol!)

They are truly wonderful people, they brought us moose and elk meat from Colorado, and had us in stitches with conversations of eating too many hot peppers and the many different types of "poo" a person can take.

While us adults were wrapped up in good hearted chuckles, their children played with our children.....and blood was shed. Oooh no, not between each other....with a dirtbike. Even with a "How To Drive 101" tutorial...there was a wreck. Now first let me just say that the dirtbike is a mini little thing that is set to training wheels and locked in to only go up to 5 mph. Lo.....a playhouse and their 10 year old girl on said dirtbike met each other with a crash and much drama to follow. EEK!

Now as a mother, I know that seeing your child get hurt is a scary thing and you come a runnin' no matter what! I ran too (we all saw it happen), but after a quick inspection I could see she was and would be just fine, despite a scraped neck and arm. The poor thing was wild eyed and shaking, and she had every right to be! She crashed into a solid object, even at 5 mph...a solid object has no give to it. OUCH!

Dusty, my 5 year old, shakes his head and sighs, "I'll go get some ice.." and he turns to go into the house. I had to chuckle a bit while I followed in after him, as he even knew she was fine, despite the tears and heaving in terror. We got the dear girl some ice and in 15 minutes she was jumping on the trampoline with the others.

A bit later they all wanted to go out to the pasture to find the horses. My children led the way and slid either through the gate or climbed over it. The city kids....errr....well....they didn't know how to do either. The 10 year old didn't understand how to slide her body through the gaps in the gate. The 12 year old tried to climb over, but didn't have a clue how to swing her leg OVER the top of the gate to start climbing down the other side. We all tried shouting instructions to them from where we were sitting....but...well.....err.....

Their mother eventually went over and guided them on how to climb over a gate. Really, I can't giggle too much. My little Izzy, who was born into the country life, was quite the girly girl in the beginning. She used to be terrified of climbing over a gate and would shriek in horror if a chicken chased her. She was scared to pet a kitten for fear of getting clawed. Just here in the past few years she has gotten a grip and overcome her fears. She is quite the country girl now ;)

Other than the bloodshed and the 10 year old looking like our farm had chewed her up and spit her out, we all had a great visit and I am just hoping they aren't afraid to come back out. Hehe!