Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Happy Fall Equinox and Merry Mabon!!

Oh what a glorious day it be! Fall was official here at 4:18 pm!

Mmmm how I love the smell of wet earth and burning leaves, and the early morning sights of wispy fog from a pond's surface and steam rising off of mulch piles; how the red and gold mums and maple leaves look positively ablaze against a drizzly grey afternoon sky; Seeing plastic white skeletons and little homemade handkerchief ghosts dangling from oak trees; porch cats curled up and stacked ontop of each other on a doormat or rocking chair; and especially, piles and piles of autumn leaves that beckon for anyone with a childlike heart to dive into. Oh yes, I will be diving into them. ;)

I had a shop full of dogs come in for grooming today, and then more tomorrow morning, and an overwhelming day Thursday! I am happy for the load of course, and thankful for a steady clientel! Speaking of grooming, another gal has posted a sign up at the gas station offering her dog grooming services. Now, at first I had a rush of emotion and fear of competition. I easily could have ripped down her sign, wadded it up and threw it in the trash bin while whistling a guilty little tune.....but no....my feelings subsided quickly into emotions of "you go girl". It is a small town, yet PLENTY of dogs for the two of us. I may even find myself referring clients to her in the future, clients that may need something different than what I can offer (after all, all groomers are different in styles and experience and everyone needs to find their happy place with the right person, and it may not always be me). More power to her, we are all here to survive and make some money, I wish her the best!

I had a great visit with an old neighbor of mine tonight who brought his adorable border collie for me to do a nail trim on. I hadn't seen him in years, so it was nice to chit chat with him for awhile. He is the dad of a classmate of mine whom I rode the same bus as kids. I bought a pony from them once when I was about 13 or so...it was nice because once my father paid for the pony, I just rode it through their pasture and on home! I loved that pony, she was a big fat red and white paint named Patty, cuz she was born on St. Patrick's Day. They also raised pigs and cows and were involved in the local 4-H. Fond memories!

Also today I heard a strange sound out back.....and upon inspection, I had seen that Marzy the goat had gotten her head stuck underneath the fence, and every minute or so would let out a desperate garbled bleat. I "unstuck" her, and she was very thankful for the gesture! then I saw that Milkshake had escaped entirely!! I walked right up to her and herded her back inside the pen.

Well, that was my day, I need to hop off here and round up some supper for the hungry Wee Babes and husband!

Mabon Blessings!!