Monday, June 8, 2009

Snake and Salamander Are Friends..

It was like childhood again, the elementary days when my best friend Amber Harris and I would go looking under rocks for ring-neck snakes. Yesterday as I tipped over the small horse trough out in the pasture to empty the water and scrub it out, I found two little cuties in the bare spot under the trough...a little ring-neck snake and a little salamander (or at least I think he was a salamander). It was nice and cool under there, dark and damp and perfect for a home sweet home, if that's your flavor of style.

I gently picked up the little snake with the same excitement of discovery as if I were 10 years old again. My little boy Dusty was enthralled with it, yet at the same time, a little uneasy to touch it. I held it out for him to view, and gave him the whole "don't pick up any snake because it may be poisonous" bit, even though Amber and I were snake savvy at 10 years old, and stupidly fearless. Dusty is only 5, I need to show him which snakes are good, and which are bad, so by the time he is 10, he can be just as savvy and stupidly fearless as I was. Hehe!

After a little photo shoot, I returned the snake back to his home, and after I scrubbed the water tank out, I set it upright and gave the snake and salamander their "home" back.

"O Hai Ther"

Photobucket

Snake and salamander

Photobucket

Photobucket

Blessings!