Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Great Hay Blunder..

Sunday Greetings!

The children and I are up and about, Darin has slept in for the day. No need for a big breakfast then if the head of the household is still hibernating, so I broke out some crackers, cheese, bananas, and cashews and the kids and I had a lovely carpet picnic for our morning breakfast! It was delicious and fun!

I am still quite sore from my barn accident the other day. Oh dear, I neglected to write about that! Let me catch you up to speed..lol! Friday was incredibly warm, it was over 60 degrees although it felt more like 70, so I seized the day and while Baby Sam took his nap, I mucked and washed the henhouse out and laid down fresh bedding and straw for the nests. Elyssa, Dusty, and Izzy also seized the warm weather for an opportunity at a spring-like (but muddy) walk in the woods. The younger one's aren't allowed in the woods alone (and really, would not go anyways in fear of Figglesnitches!), but as long as Elyssa leads their walks they may go. They were in search of fairies!

After I was good and filthy from chicken chores, I went into the barn to tinker around. Truffle of course, sat and watched my every move. Winnie ran amok, baying relentlessy at anything that moved. Oy.

I reached up to pull down a bale of hay from the stack, but with it came about 600 pounds of bales that leaned all together and slammed into me like a runaway semi truck. BOOF!!! Right into me, and onto me. I was crushed and stuck for a moment. Darling Truffle came over at my moment of distress and attempted to paw at my sleeve for about 3 seconds, then gave up. Lassie he is NOT...lol!!! I struggled free and couldn't quite breathe from having the wind knocked out of me and was slightly dizzy, and oh my goodness...sore! Stupid me. The bad thing is, this isn't the first time it has happened. D'oh!

So this weekend I have taken it much easier on myself, and sadly, our warm spring temps have dipped back down to biting cold! Yesterday we had freezing drizzle and then snow! Quite the change!

Well, that's my story, the great hay blunder of 2008. What could possibly be in store for me in 2009? Hehe!

Well, I'm off to build a fire and then maybe poke my husband with a stick, you know...just to make sure the man is still breathing!