Thursday, July 2, 2009

Panic On The Farm..

I groomed John today, our little half Truffle/ half Winnie farm pup. We have seemed to have kept him back as a permanent resident, as his other 3 brothers have all found loving homes. Why? I don't really even like him much. Bays like Winnie, barks at all my clients pulling up. He didn't take up much after Truffle, only in looks. Truffle is quiet, gentle, and retarded, but an endearing retarded. John is annoying, like his mama.

But today....I gave him a haircut and he looked EVERY bit like his daddy, Truffle! And lo! As I shaved him down in a short summer cut, I discovered he even had little brindle markings JUST like Truffle! I had never seen that before! But there they were, little random splotches of brown here and there! Not as patchy as Truffle's (brindle is a rare color for poodles). This makes me wonder if his twin brother...Joe, who now resides in Ohio with the Reiter family, has also brindled out? I know he did already have a few hints of brown patches just like Truffle, but now I'm curious as to his coat pattern.

After I groomed John, he looked and felt fantastic! He ran around the farm and dived nose first into the grass to "wash" off his groom, lol! He pranced high and proud and wiggled hi butt. Even Darin commented on how much he resembled Truffle now, with his new 'do'.

After being in the house for some time this evening, we all went back out to enjoy the cool weather and troll around in the garden a bit.

Oddly enough...I had noticed we were missing a body somewhere. the children were accounted for....but we seemed one less......dog...??

Calmly I called out for John...but he was nowhere. He didn't come to his name or to my usual kissing noises. No big deal...he's around.

A few minutes later...still no John. Truffle and Winnie were present, Boots and Jeans the farm kittens....all "little" bodies were here, but no John.

I walked around the house calling him. I looked far and wide, he was no where. I looked under the porch. Nothing. I checked the groom shop, where maybe he had snuck in behind me and then I walked out, shutting him in unaware. Nope. No John.

This was not usual for him. My heart sunk for a moment. His new haircut...fresh clean, adorable little puppy....isolated road....did someone take him? Did I care really? I thought I didn't like him anyway, annoying little pup, John. Chewin' my farm to pieces. Couldn't leave nothin' put...he had to drag it off somewhere then watch as we all searched high and low.

I walked around the house again, and out to the barn, I hollered out for Darin..he had not seen him either. John was gone. I was now in panic mode.

I walked out to the clothesline, yelling his name. I stopped and listened. Nothing. I called some more, nervousness setting. Ya happy now Rach? John's gone. Your rid of him!

Not moving from the spot I was in, I looked down. Literally...looked down.
There was John. In his new do, but with stick-tights all over his face! JOHN!!! I was never more relieved to see that little retard! Apparently, the water bowl was dry and he had gone down to the creek to get a drink.

I will be able to sleep peacefully tonight, knowing he is safe and sound!

Why though? I don't like him anyway, right? Hmm....


Stupid dog, scarin' me like that. *giggle*


;)